Thursday, January 31, 2013

Lindemann vs. Crowley


For our first reading assignment, I was mildly shocked by the opposing nature of the two articles, and since I was in the process of absorbing so much classroom information, I completely missed the fact that this was done on purpose. J

In my opinion, both articles were quite interesting reads, but the Crowley article was much more difficult to understand.  I couldn't help but think that maybe I should have been an English major.  The vocabulary was quite challenging; in fact, I Googled a few vocabulary words so that I could understand it. This article was definitely ‘high octane’ reading and it is clear that I will have to re-read it to grasp its full meaning.   Despite the challenges, the section on Available Proofs was a detailed overview of how good writers formulate strong arguments.  I am convinced that students of law must study rhetoric as a means to courtroom survival.  

The Lindemann article was quite relaxing and enjoyable, and gave me a reprieve from Crowley. It gave an awesome review of the things that writing teachers can do to make writing more pleasurable and understandable for students.  I found it pleasurable to review the free writing, brainstorming, and mind mapping techniques.  The heuristics was something very new to me, which opened the possibilities for use in future writing classes.

As a whole, the authors did a great job of discussing invention.  Crowley’s discussion was much more intense and in depth, though.  This piece was definitely for an upper-level college student who had covered the basics of the trade.  I especially liked the astronomy example and how Crowley laid out exactly what heuristics would look like in this situation.  The example was most helpful in that it provided a framework for me to follow.  

Lindemann’s example of heuristics on page 118 was very thorough as well, but not all questions may be related to a given topic.  In this case, the student must pick and choose which questions would be most valid to his or her topic.   Overall, I found that both articles had the capability to produce probing, detailed thoughts within a reader’s mind.

1 comment:

  1. Given what you wrote, Pam, I think you'd be interested to know that rhetoric and legal institutions developed hand-in-hand for many centuries in the beginning times of both: You are absolutely right that an interest in different kinds of proofs is important to lawyers.... but I also can't help but think that in this time of TV news talk shows and heavy political back-and-forth that ALL of us could use some sense of what kinds of proof and support are better than others!

    You describe well the differences between Lindemann and Crowley: as we talked about in class, Lindemann's book is aimed at people who intend to teach writing to high school and first-year college students, whereas Crowley's book is aimed at upper level undergraduates focused on writing or rhetorical studies. I hope you can see, though, that they are both discussing very similar approaches, just for different audiences and with slightly different purposes.

    I hope that what is offered in the two writings on invention does prove useful to you, both in your own writing and in your professional work.

    ReplyDelete