Thursday, January 31, 2013

Invention Exercise (In Class 1/31)


The invention exercise was a first for me.  I truly enjoyed working through the process of thinking about my topic and answering the questions.  When I first read the article, I glanced through the questions and thought that they were cool questions to ask a kid who was writing a science paper, for example.  However, once I had to apply the questions to my own topic (Teaching Writing in a Traditional vs. Online Format), it took on new meaning.  I now see the questions as valuable, probing questions that can assist a writer in preparing an assignment.  The questions ask the tough things that we often need to prepare our audience.  In fact, I now have a draft outline because of the questions.  I can best see this process being used in the beginning stages of writing as it will allow students to take the plunge and focus on the topic at hand.

I will definitely use this process in the future; in fact, in my upcoming Professional Development class, students will be researching the effect of Nutrition and Exercise on learning.  The heuristics exercises will help them to create a roadmap for their writing assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment