Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Week 8: Bartholomae Article


While some view writing as internal, meaning that the writer has everything he or she needs on the inside, Bartholomae views writing as an external struggle to carry out the writing process. Writing represents a closed society whereby students struggle to fit in. Since writing is a discourse that is not a student’s own, the assignments must lead them through the process, while allowing room for both failure and mastery.  Not every student will arrive at the same point at the same time.

Instead of just giving students a subject to write on, students must also be given the opportunity to provide their own meaning to the subject. Individual projects should be part of a larger group project to help them develop as writers.  Finally, students should be given assignments that allow them to take time with the writing process, through prewriting and revising activities so that they can grow. 

I have never considered writing as being external.  In my experience, writing has always been an internal form of expression that will blossom as the writing develops.  It is interesting to think of writing from an external point of view. Furthermore, I never really saw it as a ‘hidden society’ to my students.  After reading this writing, it is evident that I must take the time to unlock some of the doors to my students.  This can be done by giving them more time to understand their mistakes and the process in general. 

I recently assignment an article critique, and after reading a few assignments, it seems that most of them have written nothing more than summaries. When I return to class, my new goal will be to help guide them through the process a little better.  Instead of making red marks all over their papers, I plan to allow some class time for both my own coaching and group work.  My goal is to point them to ideas that may work, allow for discussion, and allow more time for revisions.  I believe that this will help them to become better writers overall—many students are just used to turning in an assignment, getting a grade, and moving to the next assignment.  They will be surprised when I stop them in the process and make them go back over their writing.  I hope that they will be willing to give it another try, and I will encourage them to do just that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment