Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Week 8: Thinking Toward a Revision Plan


I had the opportunity to meet with Anne last week on my research paper.  Like many students, I have become frustrated because I just cannot nail down the argument.  After our meeting, my argument seemed to become clearer to me, and I look forward to creating a good thesis statement. I plan to study how online teachers can make the best of their students’ essays.  My thesis may be something like, “Good feedback is essential in an online classroom to help students produce presentation-quality essays.” HOW DOES SOUND, ANYONE?  FEEL FREE TO LEAVE COMMENTS!

So far, I have been able to find well-supported evidence of my claims.  I have several research articles that discuss the use of videos, how to set up an online class effectively, and how to encourage dialogue.  Some of my own experience will also be helpful.  Since I teach in an online environment, I plan to look at some of the best practices that get students engaged in the learning process.

I will set my argument up as not to be offensive to any reader, yet make my point with understanding and tact.  Right now, the best online classes are those that give the students the right materials to succeed.  My paragraphs are pretty much ‘hanging out there’ right now and I cannot honestly state that they are NOT where they will end at the conclusion of my paper.

My plan is to sit down during spring break when I don’t have other assignments competing for attention, and focus on this paper.  I would like to set up an introduction that grabs the reader right off the bat; I am not sure if I will use a short story or interesting quote.  My paragraphs will be able to guide the readers through my thought processes, as well as my research findings.  Finally, my conclusion will end the paper on a positive, upbeat note that summarizes my ideas.  I am not sure how to make it memorable to readers, but hopefully, I can find a great quote or statement to end my paper well.

No comments:

Post a Comment