Thursday, April 25, 2013


What are you thinking now about “the” composing process? What do you see to be the main parts of such a process—and how would you describe those parts to someone who had never thought about such a process? How do the parts fit together?
How has our reading, discussion, and thinking shifted your sense of writing? How has your writing shifted your sense of writing?
I think that the first article we read on Invention, by Sharon Crowley, helped me to give the writing process a form.  In my opinion, the main parts are invention, arrangement, and style. I am aware that delivery was also included in the process, but to be honest, I am having a difficult time separating that from style. For me, the invention process is the creation stage of writing and this is where the idea begins and pen takes to paper.  The writer at this phase is just beginning the process and not sure of what will happen at the end.  The arrangement process is where the writing begins to take shape and the ideas actually become in order.  Style to me is best describe as the writer’s twist to the document and where the writer begins to refine the document. This is where a lot of grammatical revisions, etc. may come into play.  Delivery is where the final product is complete.  I agree (as we discussed in class) that we move between the parts of invention, and it is acceptable for us to move back and forth.  It looks like this in my mind:

Our reading and discussion has shifted my understanding of writing.  I am more conscious of the steps that I take when writing.  I am not sure if this is a good thing for me because I can sometimes focus too much on the process and never get anything done. J  The good part about understanding the process is that I am now able to ‘forgive’ myself if I do not have a perfect product at the beginning.  I am somewhat of a perfectionist, and at times, it is difficult for me to let go of things.  I find it easier to put my writing away and come back to it at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment